For Book Clubs
For those who aren’t within easy travel distance, you can set up a voice phone interview with Miriam or else send her written questions for an e-mail response.
Suggested questions for discussion:
- What do you think of Henry as a character? Is he a weak man? A man made vulnerable by the poverty of his childhood? A man trying to find himself in a new environment?
- What about Rene? Why do you think Henry was so fascinated by him?
- Henry was very much in love with Eugenie. But how do you think Eugenie felt about him? How do you think she affected his life?
- If you could meet one of these characters, which one would it be?
- How did you feel about Marcotte by the end of the novel? About Henry? About Rachel?